[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Error while uploading with JOSM

Keith Thomson osm at keiththomson.net
Thu Feb 7 22:18:45 GMT 2008

David Earl wrote:
> On 30/01/2008 12:47, David Earl wrote (on talk):
>
>> ... recently doing larger volumes, my experience has been the same as
>> Cristiano - it fails after a few K, and then it won't upload again for
>> another 10 minutes or so, and during that time I can't access
>> www.openstreetmap.org either.
>>

> For the third time in a row, on separate occasions over three weeks that
> I have been uploading a significant amount of data from JOSM, this has
> happened again.
>
> I think there is a problem that needs investigating.
>
> It isn't specifically an API problem as the symptoms are that I get
> locked out of the www.openstreetmap.org domain as a whole, not just JOSM
> uploads.
>
> Is there something in the website trying to prevent DoS attaacks or
> something like that, that is locking out particular IP addresses for 20
> - 25 minutes, that is counting API accesses (to
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/...) as well as general web page
> accesses (i.e. to www.openstreetmap.org)?
>
> Are there any logs that can be consulted to see what happened to me when
> my JOSM upload timed out around 18:00 GMT (my IP address is 81.107.40.180).
>
> It gave me access again at 18:25, so it was 25 minutes or so that I
> couldn't get through.

I have had the same problem while running coastline uploads.  Im pretty
sure its more of an ISP problem as when the situation occurs there are
other websites that become unavailable for me (e.g.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/dtg/weather/ as well as openstreetmap)
while other sites are perfectly accessible still.  Being near Cambridge,
your ISP wouldnt happen to be NTL/Virgin would it?  That is my isp....

Keith