[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Error while uploading with JOSM

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Feb 8 11:17:50 GMT 2008

In message <47AC360E.6040506 at frankieandshadow.com>
        David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:

> On 08/02/2008 00:38, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> The feature of the API REST interface is lots of rapid, small
>>> independent requests, which would be pretty unusual for most people.
>>
>> We might be able to do keep-alive.
>
> Isn't that done automatically anyway?

Depends if the java HTTP client that josm uses tries to use it
or not, and whether or not the server accepts it.

> BUT, there appears to be a server setting for lighttpd
> 'max-keep-alive-requests' (default 128 - what is it on ours?) after
> which the connection is dropped.

The config is in the repo:

  http://svn.openstreetmap.org/sites/rails_port/config/lighttpd.conf

but we don't set that at all, so it is whatever the default is, which
according to the doco is 16 requests with a 30 second idle timeout.

The only thing is that allowing too much keep-alive might lead to
people managing to "hog" the server.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)