[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Error while uploading with JOSM

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Feb 8 11:35:24 GMT 2008

On 08/02/2008 11:17, Tom Hughes wrote:
>> BUT, there appears to be a server setting for lighttpd
>> 'max-keep-alive-requests' (default 128 - what is it on ours?) after
>> which the connection is dropped.
>
> The config is in the repo:
>
>   http://svn.openstreetmap.org/sites/rails_port/config/lighttpd.conf
>
> but we don't set that at all, so it is whatever the default is, which
> according to the doco is 16 requests with a 30 second idle timeout.

Hmm. So it does. The first page I got Googling it was
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/performancelighttpd.htm
which says it is 128. I guess I should believe lighttpd.net

> The only thing is that allowing too much keep-alive might lead to
> people managing to "hog" the server.

Indeed.

So what is causing this consistent upload failure at around 250
requests? Is this also something only I'm seeing in this completely
consistent way, or does everyone get this? (Or do most people upload
less more often so not get into the position in the first place?)

David