[OSM-dev] disputed areas

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Sat Feb 9 16:12:03 GMT 2008

80n wrote:
> - Administrative boundaries (eg Kashmir)

It depends on our rendering rules. This one seems fairly easy; if the
two authorities either side of a boundary dispute it, then we render
both boundaries, each with a dotted line, labelled e.g. "Boundary
(Indian assertion)" or "Boundary (Pakistani assertion)" (with better
words).

It's going to be far less likely to cause an edit war if both positions
can be represented. That's possible for a lot of things, but not really
for names.

> - Road classifications; some people might be tempted to lower the
> classification of the road outside their house to reduce traffic
 > - Footpaths - disputed rights of access to farmland etc

I somehow suspect that we aren't going to get an edit war over things
this trivial.

> - Private roads and driveways

What, about their presence or absence? Surely whether they are there or
not is a fairly clear fact. They can be marked "access=private" to
denote that there's no right of way.

> - Military buildings and secure facilities

How would these cause an edit war?

Gerv