[OSM-dev] disputed areas

J.D. Schmidt jdsmobile at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 03:55:43 GMT 2008

Frederik Ramm skrev:
> Hi,
>
>> My suggestion is to encourage those guy to host their own localized maps.
>> - Drop the name rendering for this region on all the OSM-hosted maps ?
>> - Only render localized names for this region to lower the importance of
>> the "name" tag ?
>
> If an immediate response is desired, my choice would be to just drop
> rendering of Cyprus *altogheter* on our maps. That could be done with
> relative ease as we'd only have to stop serving the tiles in question,
> which might even be done through apache config rules (bit scary for
> the Z18 stuff perhaps, haven't done the numbers).
>
> There are many other places in the world where our map is blank, so we
> don't lose a lot by not showing Cyprus. The data would still be there
> and could be edited with JOSM but with it not being rendered, we'd
> have effectively taken the toy away from the children.
>
> All this of course to encourage them to find a peaceful solution...

This one gets my vote.

Even better if we could put some IP block filtering in, so the viewers
from those countries would get a special tileset up, stating something
like "Due to unmature edit-wars by persons changing roadnames to reflect
their political view, this area is only available for viewing by mature
viewers in the rest of the world. Please send email to the respective
unmature editwars participants, if you are dissatisfied with the current
situation for this area".

Dutch