[OSM-dev] Restrict key names on order to retain reusability of OSM

Tue Feb 12 11:08:04 GMT 2008

Stefan Keller wrote:

> BTW: Restrincting tags in del.icio.us to ASCII did not restrain the success
> of social bookmarking in any way IMHO.

And allowing \W tags in OSM has not restrained the success of Mapnik,
Osmarender, the cycle map, the Garmin .img files, Kosmos, or any of
the other wonderful things that people are doing, right now, with OSM
data.

If GML is sufficiently braindead that it can't cope with anything
beyond the charset of a Sinclair Spectrum*, the converter should have
an escaping function. Like Andy says, constraining OSM for this one
particular use - and it is just one use, none of the others above are
affected by it - is mad.

I could equally say that Actionscript doesn't like colons in keys
(which it doesn't), so colons should be banned. After all, there are
many many more people using Actionscript on OSM data (via Potlatch)
than there are GML. Instead I wrote about three lines of code to
escape them. I recommend it. :)

cheers
Richard

* Actually, I'm misrepresenting the Spectrum. It had some very handy
block-graphic characters at 128+. Mr Westcott, are you there?