[OSM-dev] OSM Data Question from FireGirl

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Wed Feb 13 00:23:02 GMT 2008

On 12 Feb 2008, at 22:39, Fire Girl wrote:

> Hello, I am new to this group and hoping someone can help me. I like
> the open street mapping concept and want to work with this data
> desperately in my own pool. :) I basically have a couple of questions,
>
> *|*) Can OSM data be purchased in a database/table format? Or open
> source in some big glob (huge) format? :-)

If you wish to donate to the OpenStreetMap project to keep the servers
running, you are more than welcome to.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Planet.osm will help you get
the data.

> ......secondly, well, mostly I am working with some new dev tools to
> work with this data, ... and strongly prefer having my own as
> current as possible data to work from. Anyone have any ideas how to
> get there? :-)

Take a look at the Development page on our wiki.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Develop

It gives you all the information that you need. Our tools are open
source, so you can use them as long as you adhere to the GPL or
whichever other license is on the data.

There is plenty more pages on the wiki that you will find useful.

Shaun