[OSM-dev] OSM Data Question from FireGirl

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 13 10:26:17 GMT 2008

Fire Girl wrote:
>Sent: 12 February 2008 10:40 PM
>To: dev at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [OSM-dev] OSM Data Question from FireGirl
>
>Hello, I am new to this group and hoping someone can help me. I like the
>open street mapping concept and want to work with this data desperately in
>my own pool. :) I basically have a couple of questions,
>
>*|*) Can OSM data be purchased in a database/table format? Or open source
>in some big glob (huge) format? :-)

All the openstreetmap data is available freely under the CC-BY-SA 2.0
licence. To get it all you need the weekly planet file which is an XML
format file containing all the current data. More at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Planet.osm
Its big, so if you only want data for a particular region/aspect you can
either extract a subset of it using tools that are available or query the
extended api (which is separate from OSM but built using the planet data).
More at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmxapi

>......secondly, well, mostly I am working with some new dev tools to work
>with this data, ... and strongly prefer having my own as current as
>possible data to work from. Anyone have any ideas how to get there? :-)

Gathering and entering your own data is quite simple but does require some
basic learning. Suggest you read the beginners guide to get a feel:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

Cheers

Andy