[OSM-dev] {To Shaun} Re: OSM Data Question from FireGirl

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 02:22:33 GMT 2008

On 13/02/2008, Fire Girl <firegirl at amorous.com> wrote:
> Thank you so much Shaun!  May I ask,.... what is most straightforward
> procedure to delineate the planet.osm file, to specified regions.... let's
> say New York or the United States for starters? :) I am most interested in
> that approach, that isn't too convoluted or difficult per-se, and produces
> clean data :)

osmxapi is a useful tool for downloading the data for a pre-defined
area only. it is defined by a square bounding box, using lat/lon
coordinates, or by element types (hospital, roads, rivers, etc.)

the area in question is generated as a .osm file, on the fly

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmxapi

country specific pages on the wiki may detail the bounding boxes
necessary for certain arbitrary pre-defined areas. for instance for
nz, there is one listed on the nz wiki page:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_New_Zealand#new_zealand.osm

have a look at the projects category page for the area you want, they
may have details

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Category:Projects