[OSM-dev] {To Shaun} Re: OSM Data Question from FireGirl

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Wed Feb 13 02:52:40 GMT 2008

Robin Paulson wrote:
> On 13/02/2008, Fire Girl <firegirl at amorous.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you so much Shaun!  May I ask,.... what is most straightforward
>> procedure to delineate the planet.osm file, to specified regions.... let's
>> say New York or the United States for starters? :) I am most interested in
>> that approach, that isn't too convoluted or difficult per-se, and produces
>> clean data :)
>>

> osmxapi is a useful tool for downloading the data for a pre-defined
> area only. it is defined by a square bounding box, using lat/lon
> coordinates, or by element types (hospital, roads, rivers, etc.)
>
> the area in question is generated as a .osm file, on the fly
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmxapi
>
> country specific pages on the wiki may detail the bounding boxes
> necessary for certain arbitrary pre-defined areas. for instance for
> nz, there is one listed on the nz wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_New_Zealand#new_zealand.osm
>
> have a look at the projects category page for the area you want, they
> may have details
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Category:Projects

Another option for slicing and dicing planet files is the command line
osmosis tool.  It can extract boxes and polygons from a planet file.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmosis

It also has the ability to update a planet file based on changesets
available with daily, hourly and minute intervals which is useful if you
want up-to-date data.
http://planet.openstreetmap.org/daily/
http://planet.openstreetmap.org/hourly/
http://planet.openstreetmap.org/hourly/