[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Trouble in Rangoon

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Fri Feb 29 14:16:14 GMT 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> I have followed your efforts to get funding from them and it's great
> that there is money available. However, as these things go, they have
> certain demands in return for their money, they want us to write down
> stuff we want to achieve, then write down how we achieved it, and
> follow some or other methodology. They want milestones, they want
> project plans, deadlines and so on.

This is all pretty normal for any sort of grant, including grants made
by open source Foundations such as the Mozilla Project. It's reasonable
to ask for some evidence that the money you give is being spent on what
you gave it for.

If you are looking for someone to give you lots of money and not ask
what you are doing with it, set up a donations page :-)

> I really commend your work and I
> hope you don't take this personally but all this project plan and
> milestone and deadline business is not how *I* want to work on OSM.

Is anyone suggesting that you be the contractor?

I may have misunderstood, but I thought NLnet were offering to pay
particular, named people to perform certain work. They are not making a
donation to the project in return for some nebulous guarantee by "the
project" that "some people" will work on X and Y.

Gerv