[OSM-dev] Potlatch delay loading way information

Wed Jun 25 23:43:14 BST 2008

Robert Funnell wrote:

> When Potlatch is downloading ways to the client and the server is
> slow, the 'loading ways' message may disappear after the way geometry
> has been received (and is visible) but before the way attributes have
> been received. The ways are all displayed as grey. They appear to be
> editable but their attributes are undefined.
> [...]
> Would it be possible to have the 'loading ways' message stay visible
> until all information has been received?

This is a bit of a new one - I saw it the other day too. The very
first thing Potlatch does, when it loads, is send a request to the
server saying "please give me the presets". What you've seen is when
this request takes far too long to come back; meanwhile the second
request (the ways) is fulfilled, so they get drawn without the presets.

As it happens, Potlatch 0.10 will need to wait for the first request
before doing anything at all - because the first request will also say
"give me the text in n different languages", which we need before
displaying the splash screen. What happens if the first request gets
lost, I don't know - maybe ask the server again after n seconds.

> More or less related: would it be possible to have the 'loading ways'
> message appear on a light-coloured background, to make it more
> visible? Sometimes it's hard to see against a dark background image,
> especially with the laptop screen at a certain angle.

Yep, will do.

> Thanks for your attention. (I love Potlatch. And it has several times
> seemed to improve in response to comments that I haven't even made
> yet.)

:)

cheers
Richard