[OSM-dev] Internet explorer 8 mess..

MilesTogoe miles.togoe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 01:22:40 GMT 2008

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 02:44:02PM -0700, MilesTogoe wrote:
>
>> Anyone using Windows can download and use the mostly W3C compliant
>> Firefox for free.  I haven't seen anything that indicates MS will
>> support the W3C SVG standard on IE8 or any other IE version.  Until IE
>> supports SVG, they are not abiding by W3C standards and we should
>> continue to advocate that users use Firefox, especially since OSM and
>> OpenLayers utilize SVG.
>>

> OpenLayers uses SVG *or* VML: It has no problem using VML to do all its
> vector rendering when it is working in IE, and has done so since vector
> support was added. Even if OpenStreetMap were to create and support an
> OSM editing interface that used OpenLayers Vector support, this would
> not preclude the use of IE.

Yes, but only SVG should have to be supported - it's a world standard.
It would mean less conversion code and less code to maintain is
important for any project.  And it would make things easier for direct
SVG editing in OSM, easier SVG display integration across projects and
custom applications, etc.  Thus, we should advocate browsers that adhere
to the SVG standards that many of us are using and if MS feels the pain
of users switching or ignoring their attempts to monopolize the market
by ignoring SVG, they too will start supporting SVG.  Every other
browser now supports SVG except IE.  Wouldn't it be great if the IE team
could get off their duff and rise to the challenge of creating the
fastest SVG rendering browser?  Think how much easier it would be not to
render out to tiles.