[OSM-dev] Mapnik Q: enhance resolution?

Artem Pavlenko artem.mapnik at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 9 10:39:10 GMT 2008

On 9 Mar 2008, at 09:31, Tom Hughes wrote:

> In message <47D3A887.7090700 at remote.org>
>           Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>
>>     I have Mapnik set up and it's generating the image I want fine.
>> However, I would now like to double the resolution without any
>> change in
>> the image, i.e. I want the bitmap to look exactly the same in print,
>> just with smoother fonts etc.
>
> Why not use the cairo backend instead of the agg backend. Then you
> can render to SVG or PDF and scale it to whatever size you like and
> get a smooth result.

Yes, cairo_renderer is great for print ready maps.

> The only problem will be icons (pubs, churchs, etc) which are bitmap
> sources and hence will get blocky if you scale them too much.

Vector based symbols are on my TODO list. Should we aim to support
SVG  (ie. tiny profile) ? Or something simpler like filled/stroked
paths would suffice ?

Main problem with cairo - it is not reflected in Python bindings, yet.

Should we have something like :

agg = agg_renderer(m, im)
agg.render()

cairo = cairo_renderer(m,im)