[OSM-dev] Mapnik Q: enhance resolution?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Mar 9 10:42:26 GMT 2008

In message <18D7C55E-F25A-4222-B7C3-1CDD62346E02 at gmail.com>
          Artem Pavlenko <artem.mapnik at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Vector based symbols are on my TODO list. Should we aim to support
> SVG  (ie. tiny profile) ? Or something simpler like filled/stroked
> paths would suffice ?

I was assuming SVG personally - at the very least we probably want
to provide a tool that can convert from SVG or something or it will
be hard for people to create symbols.

> Main problem with cairo - it is not reflected in Python bindings, yet.
>
> Should we have something like :
>
> agg = agg_renderer(m, im)
> agg.render()
>

> cairo = cairo_renderer(m,im)
> cairo.render()
>
> Ideas?

I did look at this briefly - one issue is whether to wrap the cairo
surface object that is passed to the renderer using boost::python as
for everything else, or to use the existing cairo python bindings.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/