[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Next steps

Tue Mar 11 13:32:31 GMT 2008

> I might be able to get my uni Computer Science department to pass on an
> e-mail to all it's students.
That would be cool.

> Could a couple of paragraphs or so be written for this, that we can add
> to a paragraph that's local specific?
OK, here is my try on it, feel free to modify
Want to help mapping the world, get to know nice people and earn money?

The OpenStreetMap project collects geographical data and makes them
available in various forms for various purposes, e.g. as street maps, etc.

OpenStreetMap has applied for sponsorship through the Google Summer of
Code initiative. This means that students get to choose a task they want
to work on, code on it between May 26 - August 11 2008 and get paid for
it by Google. A mentor from the project will be assigned to the student
and support them as much as possible.

Sounds cool? It is! Find more info on the Google Summer of Code here:
http://code.google.com/soc/2008/

The OpenStreetMap project has more information and potential projects
here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code

Feel free to have a look, get into contact with people and pick (or
suggest) a cool project to work on. Sebastian at SSpaeth.de will try to
help you find some tasks if you are not sure what to do.

The OpenStreetMap community looks forward to your application.