[OSM-dev] Tag Handling in the Database

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 22:45:31 GMT 2008

Hi Gerv and Mikel,

In community projects like OSM there's always a danger that technical issues
get suppressed by either 'democratised' processes or (not technically
oriented) opinion leaders. From what I understand you're concerns are well
justified.

So I'd like to bring back the discussion to the point:

Gerv: I see what your driving at and I know MediaWiki quite a bit. You're
proposals seem to be quite reasonable:

1. Proposed_Features and Map_Features should use compatible templates.
2. Proposals should be written in a style as if they were accepted
(unaccepted proposals would be automagically marked with something like
"This proposal is not yet official.")
3. All tag explanation pages *must* reside in the same namespace.

Then Mikel asked:
> Can the key/value, rendering rules and outputs, comments and descriptions,

> photos, and perhaps if we decide it makes sense, the "approval" process
> be abstracted to a model for use in rails? What would the goal look like,
> and are there small intermediate steps which are obtainable?

Can you explain that a little bit more?

-- Stefan