[OSM-dev] The future of Potlatch

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri May 2 10:52:33 BST 2008

2008/5/2 Yann <yann.hamon at gmail.com>:

> Well, a couple of questions.
> - Is cloudmade the same company with which SteveC tried to put advertising
> on openstreetmap a year ago, putting it online without asking anybody
> before, arguing it was because of money issue which proved wrong after a
> couple of weeks?
> - Is this flash applet going to be opensource, and made available for
> development to the community, or closed source, giving that company control
> over openstreetmap and the way data gets entered?
>
> I've been happy using potlach so far - not sure why a new version is
> needed: any thread pointing this out anywhere?
>
> You get the idea. Imho stevec is trying to turn osm into his commercial
> game *again*, and to be honest it's quite tiring. Oh right, but
> "openstreetmap ain t communists like wikipedia".

Nice over-reaction there Yann.

I think Richard pointed out why a new version of Potlatch is wanted:
"Potlatch is written in ActionScript 1, [...]. The latest version is
ActionScript 3, [...]. CloudMade believes this is holding back the
development of OSM [...]: more Flash designers would come to work on it,
resulting in a better editor". Whether you believe that's true is another
matter, personally I'd tend to agree to some extent, and if I was investing
money in a codebase I'd want it to be as maintainable as possible, which
probably means something other than AS1.

>From what Richard said it implies to me that any new editor would be open
source, but you'd have to ask CloudMade.. who as yet haven't actually made
any statement at all on the whole issue... probably a sensible plan of
action given your post.

And as has already been pointed out, there's room for competition in the
editor market, and CloudMade doesn't get any more say in what happens when
you click Edit than anyone else. If we have multiple editors vying for that
position then a solution needs to be found where the individual user can
make that choice.

I think it would be fair to say that SteveC is trying to make himself some
money from OSM, but seeing as how either you or I could do the same thing if
we wanted, I don't see your issue. You seem to be jumping the gun a little
on the whole evilness line. Wait till they actually do something evil --
word has it they're looking for new offices in the hollowed out centre of an
island volcano and the new editor will be called the Lighter ActionScript 3
Revisor, or "LAS3R", so I'm sure you won't have to wait long.

Dave