[OSM-dev] 0.6 api - same story

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Mon May 5 09:49:37 BST 2008

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 7:10 PM, bvh <bvh-osm at irule.be> wrote:
> OK, it seems yesterday a page went live on the wiki with a proposal
>  for the 0.6 api. It is advertised as going live half may and
>  seems to propose significant changesi with the disregard for the
>  needs for non-JOSM api users (potlatch is mentioned, for a change).
>  This time around the process leading up to 0.6 is even less open as
>  0.5 with exactly _0_ discussion on dev (why am I even subscribed here?)
>  In fact if I didn't login on irc per change tonight, I might not have
>  known about this at all.

The hackathon has been in the wiki for a while now. We had the major
potlatch/JOSM/API coders all there. It's all change monitoring and
rollback which has been on everybodys wishlist for ages. We basically
went for Frederik's proposal, which has been on the wiki for a while
also.

As the person who did the JOSM changes, let me tell that this change
is *nothing* like the previous one. Mapnik and osmarender will not
even notice, for data readers you'll just see some extra fields. Only
programs *writing* to the API are affected, and in most cases the
changes are minimal.

The major progress this weekend was finally getting the node tags into
a seperate table (no more whacked escaping rules) and enabling of
transactions (no more partial updates). Can't wait till they get
deployed.

Have a nice day