[OSM-dev] 0.6 api - one more time

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Tue May 6 08:03:52 BST 2008

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 08:58:34AM +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> >  - take notes as you go and publish them as widely as possible
> >  - announce important stuff (for developers) on the dev mailing list
> >  as early as possible (certainly before linking them on the wiki)
> >  - use the wiki as a reservoir of information, not as a notification
> >  board
> These are mutually inconsistant.
> - We did take notes and we did use the wiki as a repository. We hadn't
> even gotten round to the notification part because the hackathon was
> less than a day old before somebody noticed.
> - On the otherhand you want stuff emailed before we put it on the
> wiki. Considering what was on the wiki was a brain dump more than
> anything else, I don't think an email would have been any more
> coherent.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I used the word 'announce' to
point to the meeting and meeting subject itself, not the result
that obviously should be in the wiki.

Just a simple mail : 'I am off to londen where we will brain storm
around making the api better. Longstanding ideas thatI want to bring up
are rollback, versioning and generally
improving the database/api. If there is wireless I'll try to put
some notes in the wiki at http://..., but otherwise I'll do a writeup
later.'

> By your argument it would have been better to have created the wiki
> page but not linked it from anywhere. Is that really what you want?

What I meant with the linking was the way the page went up, I could
only conclude it was a 'fait accompli', since there was no context
at all. Especially given the lack of headsup beforehand.
That's just rubs the wrong way...

cu bart