[OSM-dev] Newby question

Alex Wilson alex_wilson at pobox.com
Mon May 12 15:13:20 BST 2008

Hi,

I'm new to this mailing list but have been following the good work at OSM
for a while and have been very heartened by the project's growth. I have a
simple question: I'm interested in the relative runtime of the
sub-components of the Osmarender-based tile generation process. Specifically
the relative time for running the Osmarender code itself (the XSLT+Perl)
versus rendering the resultant svg as a tile? I am presuming the former is a
small proportion of the total runtime whilst the svg rendering dominates?

If not, I was wondering if there's any interest in developing a version of
the code in a compiled language for efficiency reasons?

Thanks,

Alex Wilson