[OSM-dev] 0.6 API clarifications and corrections

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Thu May 15 07:30:08 BST 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:04 PM, bvh <bvh-osm at irule.be> wrote:
> But apparently the server code expects version, not old_version.
> Personally I slightly prefer version as it would then become
> identical code from just saving the file.

Heh. We started from the same principles and ended up in a different
place. When we discussed this at the hack-a-thon we figured the diff
upload had more in common with the changeset download then with the
map call. And in a changeset download you want to give both the old
and the new version number.

So, we specced out what you would need for a changeset download,
invented old_version and new_version and then used old_version
everywhere we needed it. If we do it your way then we would get
old_version and version for the changeset download, right?

> This is inconsistent with section 1.5 of the wiki page on 0.6 that
> says the changeset_id attribute should be on the osm tag for diff
> upload. So it would be interesting to find out the reason for
> this difference.

You're right. I'm pretty sure it's not what I wrote on the whiteboard,
but if it says it in the wiki then we do it that way. The bit about
the changeset_id in the osm tag introduces an asymmetry between what
you upload and what you save to a file, so I think at least JOSM will
put it in both places so you can read it back from files saved on
disk.

Have a nice day,