[OSM-dev] 0.6 API clarifications and corrections

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Thu May 15 10:47:36 BST 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 12:02:39PM +0100, Dave Stubbs wrote:
> > On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:31:13AM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> >> It is also possible to change the same object multiple times within the
> >> same changeset, so one single changeset might catapult the object
> >> version from 1 to 15.
> > Is that a design goal? That behavior seems unexpected to me.
> It's a goal to let it happen, think Potlatch style live editing.

Sure but in such a changeset there would be multiple occurences of
<modify...> for the same object, each incrementing the version number
by 1.

> It's also possible for another changeset to edit the object in between
> as well, so this probably shouldn't be as transparent as "catapult"
> might suggest. The changeset data download will have to take this into
> account.

You will then have things like

<osmChange>
<modify>
<node id="x" version="3".../>
<node id="x" version="4".../>
<node id="x" version="7".../>
</osmChange>

So now the first change incremented the version from 2 to 3, second
from 3 to 4 and the last one from 6 to 7.

cu bart