[OSM-dev] C++ implementation of the API

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed May 21 11:33:17 BST 2008

In message <44d06e000805210314w3de706c9v7b138bf06ef487f4 at mail.gmail.com>
        Alex Wilson <alex_wilson at pobox.com> wrote:

> Further to earlier discussion on this list, I've been looking into writing a
> C++ version of the OSM API server. When discussing this before, it was
> suggested that an Apache module would be the best way to plug such an API
> into the OSM server. Just out of interest: what are the advantages of a
> standalone Apache module versus a plugin module to Ruby that uses the
> existing codebase to parse the urls etc but calls out to the C++ api to do
> the heavy lifting?

Well I'm not sure exactly what level of abstraction you're talking
about plugging into rails at to be honest...

Logically it would have to be at the controller level, in which case
you would have a weird kind of setup where you were almost using rails
but not really using it.

Getting the response back to the client efficiently would also be a
major problem as rails will want to send the response, which means
you will have to give the response data back to ruby and then let
ruby send it to the client, which means you won't be able to stream
the response.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)