[OSM-dev] way 7062297, is this new?

Hugh Barnes list.osm at hughbris.com
Thu Oct 9 13:11:57 BST 2008

On Thursday 09 October 2008 19:02:44 Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
> Points noted Hugh but in reality it's probably easy enough to find
> alternative solutions to these tagging questions.

+1

> Since duplicate keys in
> the current data have essentially been legacy data or input errors of some
> sort I suspect the number that exist right now is quite low.

What will you do with them? I think you must be talking about deleting tags
that users have put in (intentionally in at least some cases). I don't think
any of mine successfuly made it into the database, but I would be pretty
annoyed…

> think if folks made a compelling reason to keep it and had the patches for
> the editors to enable widespread use then it would need to be looked at and
> debated a bit more, after all it's the needs of the contributors of data
> that should be driving the format of the database, not the other way
> around.

So this is getting sensible. Bart seems to think it's too late. I'm just not
across all of the design activity of the last few months. I do understand
that you might have gone too far down the road.

I'd be curious to see if anyone else sees a need. I find delimited strings
inherently unsatisfactory to work with, so I also wonder if there are any
other workarounds that we could at least recommend?

(And I'm turning in now, so I'll go quiet for a bit.)

Cheers