[OSM-dev] way 7062297, is this new?

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Thu Oct 9 19:02:42 BST 2008

Hugh Barnes <list.osm at hughbris.com> writes:

> I'd be curious to see if anyone else sees a need. I find delimited strings
> inherently unsatisfactory to work with, so I also wonder if there are any
> other workarounds that we could at least recommend?

Multiple values for a tag is certainly useful and needs to be
supported, IMHO.  But, that doesn't necessarily mean that the API
needs to support duplicate keys.  Delimited strings are fine as long
as $EDITOR hides them from you.

Nevertheless, I think duplicate keys are the cleaner solution.  If it
really hurts database performance or if there are other technical
reasons why way/key pairs must be unique in the database the API could
concatenate the values and split them on data delivery.  But, I am
sure this has been discussed before, so forgive me.

Matthias