[OSM-dev] Database Schema

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Thu Oct 9 14:24:36 BST 2008

On 9 Oct 2008, at 13:53, Brett Henderson wrote:

> MilesTogoe wrote:
>> ruby and rails have gone thru some changes the past few months - you
>> most likely need a newer gems package - try downloading the latest
>> gems source and compiling that - then from the newer gems install the
>> rails packages
> I currently have rubygems 1.2.0.  I see the latest is 1.3.0.  I don't
> know much about ruby.  So should I upgrade to 1.3.0?  I'd rather not
> install from source unless I have to ...

rubygems 1.2.0 should work fine.

To update to ruby 1.3.0 run the following commands:
sudo gem install rubygems-update
sudo update_rubygems
http://www.rubygems.org/read/chapter/3

> I've fixed the externals issue I had.  That was dumb on my part.  I
> checked out a few hours ago and forgot it failed due to external sites
> being down.  I've used TomH's vendor.zip to get the external files.

The api06 branch will check out fine :-)
Especially now that I have added the classic_pagination plugin to svn
directly, rather than having it access an out of date external. I
should probably back port this change ASAP.
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/11079

> I installed rails 2.0.2 with:
>
> gem install -v=2.0.2 rails
> That includes activesupport, activerecord, actionpack, actionmailer
> and activeresource all at version 2.0.2.  It includes rake at
> version 0.8.3.
>
> rake db:migrate failed with a message like:
> no such file to load -- spec/rake/spectask
>
> I installed rspec with:
> gem install rspec
> That installed version rspec 1.1.8.

I have removed the rspec depenancy.
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/9286
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/9287
So it will be TomH's out of date vendor.zip that is causing the
problem there.

> rake db:migrate failed because it couldn't find RubyGem hoe.
>
> I installed hoe with:
> gem install hoe
> That installed hoe 1.7.0 and rubyforge 1.0.0

I never knew hoe was a dependancy!

> rake db:migrate now fails with the following error.  Any ideas?

rspec shouldn't be needed.

Shaun