[OSM-dev] 0.6 API hack-a-thon Date

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 11:31:22 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Shaun McDonald wrote:
>
>> We're currently working on rails unit and functional tests for API
>> 0.6. There will probably be some integration tests coming later.
>>
>> You can see the status of the tests at http://cruise.shaunmcdonald.me.uk/
>
> Stop talking about platform specific test!

Actually, we won't. We still desperately need more unit and functional
tests for the code base - I've been writing unit tests for utf-8
handling, and finding truncation errors in parts of the code. I also
need to write tests so that invalid utf-8 byte sequences are handled
properly. There's not much point in *not* getting things like these
sorted.

> We need test that is an
> application server *without logic* that sends out requests for a pre
> definined dataset that should always result in the same output.

Sure. But it's work that can be done *as well as* the work Shaun and
others are working on, not instead of.

Anyways, in many areas the testing is getting ahead of the curve,
since there's still lots of questions need answering about what the
API should do, never mind testing it.

Cheers,
Andy