[OSM-dev] help with mod_tile

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 19 11:50:41 BST 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 00:01 -0400, Ryan Case wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm setting up a tile server with mod_tile, and I'm having trouble
> running the renderd daemon.
>
> I have mapnik installed and can render maps with generate_image.py,
> and I have the svn version of mod_title which I can make after
> adjusting paths in render_config.h, but when I run "# ./renderd",
> nothing seems to happen.
>
> Is just running "# ./renderd" the correct way to run the deamon?

Yes

> And
> if so, does the fact that nothing happens mean my mod_tile is not
> installed properly? Or is there something else that might be going on?

When you start the daemon the only thing you should see is:

$ ./renderd
Rendering daemon

When you then make a request for tiles from the web server, e.g.
http://localhost/osm_tiles2/0/0/0.png

You should see a message from the render daemon saying:

Got incoming connection, fd 9, number 1
Render fd(9) z(0), x(0), y(0)
DONE TILE 0 0-0 0-0
Produced .meta: /var/www/html/direct/0/0/0/0/0/0.meta

If all goes well then you should have a small tile with a map of the
world.

	Jon