[OSM-dev] OpenStreeetMap and X-Plane for collecting GIS data

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Oct 30 15:25:56 GMT 2008

Raphael Studer wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
>> Is there a standard for "private keys"?  Are private keys even allowed?
>>  Basically I am wondering if we can have "X-Plane:<x-plane specific data>"
>> keyed onto point features, or whether we need to have our schema  be fully
>> merged with OSM.  (Not sure which ways is best, I just want to know what my
>> legal options are!)
>
> Shure they are allowed.

Allowed, yes. Encouraged? I'm not sure...

The idea of end-user application specific data doesn't seem like a good
one to me - it could quickly explode to extreme levels of silliness if
every application that uses our data wants to put it's own custom tags
back on the data.

Just define suitable generic tags and use those, rather than making
application specific things would be my advice.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/