[OSM-dev] OpenStreeetMap and X-Plane for collecting GIS data

Ben Supnik bsupnik at xsquawkbox.net
Thu Oct 30 15:32:59 GMT 2008

Hi Y'all,

Tom: fair enough, and for what we're doing so far, non-private tagging
makes sense I think.  X-Plane's needs are very similar to what you would
need if you wanted to make a pilot's sectional map.  (Perhaps proposed
aviation-related features should keep aviation mapping in mind...)

The situation where I could imagine needing private tagging (or not)
would be where an X-Plane user wants to tie some kind of X-Plane
specific content to a generic world feature, e.g. make sure that this
particular radio tower is rendered in X-Plane using a particular 3-d model.

In that case we would have at least two options:

1. Encode the X-Plane specific model info into an app-specific tag.  I
have to agree with Tom that this isn't very good.

2. Maintain a side database that maps some kind of unique ID from OSM to
the X-Plane specific additional data.

The danger with the second scheme is that the link might become broken,
but then this could be detected programmatically.

cheers
Ben

--
Scenery Home Page: http://scenery.x-plane.com/