[OSM-dev] OpenStreeetMap and X-Plane for collecting GIS data

Rogier Wolff R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl
Thu Oct 30 16:15:41 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:32:59AM -0400, Ben Supnik wrote:
> Tom: fair enough, and for what we're doing so far, non-private tagging
> makes sense I think.  X-Plane's needs are very similar to what you would
> need if you wanted to make a pilot's sectional map.  (Perhaps proposed
> aviation-related features should keep aviation mapping in mind...)

To me, what you want to do, is exactly what OSM is for: Create a
publicly maintained database of features on the planet earth. First
goal was to put all the roads and highways in there.

Now, adding the radio towers and other aviation things doesn't sound
"out of line" to me.

What should be done, IMHO, is to add it in such a way that for example
the rendereres a) render it automaticaly or b) by default don't render
it but have the option to render it, provided someone thinks of an
icon.

Additional info like height is something that I find allowable as a
tag.

> The situation where I could imagine needing private tagging (or not)
> would be where an X-Plane user wants to tie some kind of X-Plane
> specific content to a generic world feature, e.g. make sure that
> this particular radio tower is rendered in X-Plane using a
> particular 3-d model.

Right.

> In that case we would have at least two options:
>
> 1. Encode the X-Plane specific model info into an app-specific tag.  I
> have to agree with Tom that this isn't very good.

Sounds good to me. x-plane_render-model=tower-23 .

Or if you tag it:

	render-hint=tower-23

then maybe some map renderers will honor that too, and support
different icons for different types of towers....

See, there is nothing application specific! Just a render-hint!

I realize that this is example-specific, and in the end, some tags WILL
have to be x-plane specific. Fine.

(The Dutch maps are littered with AND_ID=... from the import of the
AND-data. Who is ever going to use that again???)

> 2. Maintain a side database that maps some kind of unique ID from OSM to
> the X-Plane specific additional data.
>
> The danger with the second scheme is that the link might become broken,
> but then this could be detected programmatically.

To me this sounds like a data maintenance nightmare.

	Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **