[OSM-dev] OpenStreeetMap and X-Plane for collecting GIS data

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Oct 30 16:21:12 GMT 2008

Rogier Wolff wrote:

> Now, adding the radio towers and other aviation things doesn't sound
> "out of line" to me.

I don't think anybody has said it is out of line to put the objects in.

> Additional info like height is something that I find allowable as a
> tag.

Absolutely, but that isn't X-Plane specific. It's an attribute of the
object that deserves tagging properly.

>> In that case we would have at least two options:
>>
>> 1. Encode the X-Plane specific model info into an app-specific tag.  I
>> have to agree with Tom that this isn't very good.
>
> Sounds good to me. x-plane_render-model=tower-23 .

Sounds terrible to me. At what point would you decide that things had
got out of hand? When the object had 10 applications applying their own
tags to it? 100? 1000?

> Or if you tag it:
>
> 	render-hint=tower-23
>
> then maybe some map renderers will honor that too, and support
> different icons for different types of towers....

Well that's tagging for the renderer writ large, and we "don't do
that", do we ;-)

> See, there is nothing application specific! Just a render-hint!

Which are not generally considered good practice... You tag what an
object is, not how you want it rendered.

> (The Dutch maps are littered with AND_ID=... from the import of the
> AND-data. Who is ever going to use that again???)

Data source specific tags are entirely different - an object will
generally only have one data source but there might be hundreds of
applications which use it and might want to add their own tags to it.

The data source tags like that are also primarily intended for OSM use
to allow future updates if necessary.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)