[OSM-dev] ANNOUNCE: OpenStreetMap maps will be added to Wikimedia projects

Stephan Plepelits skunk at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Apr 5 11:08:14 BST 2009

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:14:25AM +0200, Erik Johansson wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
> <avarab at gmail.com> wrote:
> > * Wikimedia will set up a database to mirror the OSM data (Planet.osm)
> I wonder if Wikipedia will ever need to fork the db in some way.
> Wikipedia will often need something else than a streetmap.
In my opinion the OSM is much more then a street map, but maybe they need a
customized rendering.

> Has anyone done work on getting Google maps "my maps" like features on
> OSM? I'm guessing this is something that will be interesting for
> Wikipedia, visualizing routes, POI and custom labels. This is database
> forking lite.. :-)
Something like the OpenStreetBrowser? -> http://www.openstreetbrowser.org

You don't need a database fork for this, you just have to integrate the
data (which is happening since the OSM was born).

greetings,
        Stephan
--
Seid unbequem, seid Sand, nicht Öl im Getriebe der Welt! - Günther Eich