[OSM-dev] ANNOUNCE: OpenStreetMap maps will be added to Wikimedia projects

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Apr 5 11:15:33 BST 2009

Hi,

Stephan Plepelits wrote:
>> Has anyone done work on getting Google maps "my maps" like features on
>> OSM? I'm guessing this is something that will be interesting for
>> Wikipedia, visualizing routes, POI and custom labels. This is database
>> forking lite.. :-)

> Something like the OpenStreetBrowser? -> http://www.openstreetbrowser.org
>
> You don't need a database fork for this, you just have to integrate the
> data (which is happening since the OSM was born).

I think we're talking about stuff that OSM has no place for (yet,
perhaps). For example an article illustrating some historic displacement
of people from one region to others; I don't think anyone is saying that
those trans-European arrows we known from history class should be
modeled as relations in OSM, to be rendered by the appropriate Mapnik
rule ;-)

Bye
Frederik