[OSM-dev] ANNOUNCE: OpenStreetMap maps will be added to Wikimedia projects

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 13:14:02 BST 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Stephan Plepelits wrote:
>>> Has anyone done work on getting Google maps "my maps" like features on
[..]
>> Something like the OpenStreetBrowser? -> http://www.openstreetbrowser.org

Not really you can't use that to make custom maps. Some thing like this:
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/editingtoolbar.html

Or some thing else entirely.

>> You don't need a database fork for this, you just have to integrate the
>> data (which is happening since the OSM was born).
>
> I think we're talking about stuff that OSM has no place for (yet,
> perhaps). For example an article illustrating some historic displacement

Borders and historic names, or lets say illustrating all flight paths
over Europe. Stuff that people want to put into the database right
now.

--
/emj