[OSM-dev] [bug] direction of GPS traces

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 14 15:56:11 BST 2009

A Morris wrote:
>Sent: 14 April 2009 3:48 PM
>To: osm-dev List
>Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] [bug] direction of GPS traces
>
>That doesn't sound very private to me... It seems to me it would be
>very easy to join the dots from, say, someone's house and see where
>they go to. Especially if I could download the "public" traces
>separately, and subtract these from the area download, leaving just
>the private traces...
>
>Frankly this sounds like a disastrous security hole.

Well it's been like it is for the last 4+ years! If you uploaded your GPS
data and it wasn't visible at all then what use would it be in OSM having
it! By the very act of uploading GPS data to OSM you are making a
contribution. It's only the original uploaded trace file that is made
available to the wider public if you wish or kept private if you wish not.

Cheers

Andy