[OSM-dev] A better way to watch nodes and ways?

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 10:17:35 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Ian Dees<ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM, John McKerrell <john at mckerrell.net> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps if you entered your
>> username it could report all the elements that change away from your
>> username?
>
> I seem to remember having a discussion ages ago about uses for a realtime
> feed from the database. This might be one of them...
>
> We don't care (too much) if we miss some of the stream, but when it's
> working we could send out notifications to those that are interested in
> certain nodes. Also, since it's an XML stream we could use XSLT to quickly
> match any changes that people are looking for.

We already have next to real time information in the form of minute
diff files. You don't need a stream to do notifications (in fact it
would probably make it harder). And just as a note of warning... XSLT
has never been known for quickness... anything with a SAX parser will
do for simple notifications of this kind.

Dave