[OSM-dev] Participation in gsoc 2009

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 22:28:02 GMT 2009

> I'm not sure whether we are going to participate in that. I am not aware
> of any plans. That doesn't mean there aren't any though. The community
> take-up of last year's SoC results was not as good as we would have
> expected, which can perhaps partly be explained by the fact that
> participants were not recruited from within the community.

At least 2 of the 4 Google Summer of Code students, Arindam and Subhodip were actually already active in OSM, and continue to be. Their contributions, the GPX upload plugin for JOSM and localisations of Rails, haven't been brought into trunk yet, and I'm not sure why .. my impression is that it's been time constraints of the core developers. Anyway, excellent work, or beginnings of work, and I know they're interested to help take it forward.

I consider GSoC 2008 a succes, and totally think we should participate again. If anything, it raises awareness of OSM .. just look at the Google's open source donation to OSM funding drive last week. It's not too early now to start collecting on the wiki proposed projects, interested students and mentors.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code

Best
Mikel