[OSM-dev] SVN rails_port questions: browse, relicensing

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Feb 12 12:59:31 GMT 2009

80n wrote:
> There has been no discussion of a PD option at any of the OSMF
> board meetings that I have attended (I don't think I've missed any),
> and no mention in any of the minutes from the License Working
> Group.
>
> So, as far as I know, the answer is that the only options that have
> been considered are YES or NO.

Steve, Andy and I discussed it (as the 'licence working group' of the day,
though without the title) last year.

>From memory: I thought it would be a valuable piece of "inclusion" - helping
a large piece of the community feel listened to, despite the fact that their
preferred option wasn't being adopted. Steve saw it as formalising the
scheme on the wiki and was fine with it. I don't remember what Andy thought.

There was never any intention to offer it as one of three options for
relicensing, in the manner of "Do you vote for ODBL, CC-BY-SA, or PD?".
Rather, it would be an additional box you could tick when/if you agreed to
ODBL. Exactly the same as the wiki scheme, but the db user relationship is
there.

cheers
Richard