[OSM-dev] OGC standards / Sql Server 2008 / OSM... help?

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 22:25:22 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 00:08 +0200, brendan barrett wrote:
>  Thanks Dermot
>
> Is correcting it inside OSM the only way to deal with this kind of
> data? If so, i'm thinking of compiling a list of all the ways that do
> not comply, and then posting them somewhere so that we can all pick
> them off one by one. There are a lot in Australia alone (using the
> aussie export to get my testing done). I have a feeling that anyone
> using Sql Server Spatial will have these issues.

You don't mention how you are importing the data. Another tool which
attempts to parse and correct minor issues with the coastlines is the
coastcheck utiity[1]. This also generates a set of shapefiles containing
just the final geometries. There may still be problems with these, but
perhaps a few less than the raw data.

The problems seen by this tool are highlighted on the coast checker web
site[3].

	Jon

[1] http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/utils/coastcheck
[2] http://hypercube.telascience.org/~kleptog/