[OSM-dev] API 0.6 returns 403 forbidden

Tels nospam-abuse at bloodgate.com
Thu May 14 17:43:30 BST 2009

Moin,

On Thursday 14 May 2009 18:35:32 Tels wrote:
> Moin,
>
> On Thursday 14 May 2009 09:31:56 Tom Hughes wrote:
> > Jeffrey Warren wrote:
> > > Hi, I suddenly started getting "403 - Forbidden" from my any
> > > machine. I also get a 403 when i simply go to
> > > "www.openstreetmap.org
> > > <http://www.openstreetmap.org>" in a browser (just discovered
> > > this...). Have I been blacklisted or is this an outage?
> >
> > I suspect you're the person I blocked last night because you were
> > apparently trying to scrape map data from the API with a large
> > number of presumably automated map calls.
> >
> > If you are the person I blocked then in the last four days you've
> > made a total of 8186 map calls, an average of about 1.5 a minute.
> >
> > If you want bulk data, please use the planet dump not the API to
> > get it.
>
> I presume my own application (http://bloodgate.com/wiki/map) will
> then be blocked, too.
>
> Using the "plant dump + diffs" sounds easy, but is in fact impossible
> for me. My online server does not have the capacity to store the
> entire world, and I do not have the computing power and time to
> convert it up-front, either. (Not to mention do upload the converted
> data to my server from my home DSL line :(
>
> (There is also the question what happens if importing an hourly diff
> takes regulary longer than 60 minutes. So far the only data I have on
> that is someone mentioning that it "takes between 40 and 70 minutes
> with a fast harddisk"...)
>
> Also, to download the whole dump, update it with minute diffs and
> pregenerate a huge database is vastly more complicated and uses a lot
> more processing power than just to fetch (and cache for X days) the
> few areas someone is actually looking at.

I know it's bad style to reply to yourself, but :)

* took out api.openstreetmap.org from osmapi at bloodgate.com for now
* the API server is waay to slow, in any case, so I am looking at the
planet dump method, but it will take quite a while to developt the
converter and I am not sure it will actually work

Still, it would be good to know what the plans for the future are and
how one could help to improve the situation. How expensive would it be
to run an XAPI server like xapi.informationfreeway.org?

All the best,

Tels

--
 Signed on Thu May 14 18:41:06 2009 with key 0x93B84C15.
 View my photo gallery: http://bloodgate.com/photos

 "Un bon mot ne prouve rien."

  -- Voltaire