[OSM-dev] Guys I trusted you, I removed my checks...

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue May 19 01:26:43 BST 2009

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> ....but again this trust was misplaced. No, it is not Potlatch 0.9a, it
> cannot be Potlatch is the perfect user tool and introduction to OSM. It
> must be API 0.6 that didn't solve all our problems, as was promised.
> Instead but it opened the gates of hell, a parallel universe within
> OSM...[/melodramatic] [start fanfare tune + brass]
>
> http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/way/8115655/full
>
> http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/node/255483811/history
>

> I probably have to blame myself; I was a fool to speed up my converter
> by removing the consistency checks. But since when do we support more
> than -180/+180 ?

My understanding is that there's nothing intrinsically tying us to ±90°
by ±180°, based on the responses I got on #osm when asking about the
possibility of mapping something with a geometry grossly different from
Earth's (ie, Second Life).

On Earth, at least, anything outside of the ±180x90° range is likely
subject to standard trigonometry in terms of placement, assuming it's
not rejected.