[OSM-dev] Guys I trusted you, I removed my checks...

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Tue May 19 02:39:30 BST 2009

El Martes, 19 de Mayo de 2009, Paul Johnson escribió:
> My understanding is that there's nothing intrinsically tying us to ±90°
> by ±180°, based on the responses I got on #osm when asking about the
> possibility of mapping something with a geometry grossly different from
> Earth's (ie, Second Life).

Err, you need to take into account the bounds of the database fields holding
lat and lon.

Last time I checked (API 0.6 backed by MySQL), the lat/lon fields were
4-byte-long integers, and the API multiplied the lat/lon by 10 million to
store the data.

That means that the DB bounds for lat/lon are -2147483648 to 2147483647, which
translates to ~ ±214.74 degrees.

In order to map something outside those bounds, you would have to tweak both
the API and the DB backend to make room for bigger numbers. I haven't looked
at it, but it's sane to assume that the API checks for out-of-bounds data.

Cheers,
--

Un ordenador no es un televisor ni un microondas, es una herramienta compleja.