[OSM-dev] 3d Import into OpenArena working

Stefan Ziegler stefan.ziegler_zst at gmx.de
Wed Oct 7 22:27:08 BST 2009

Hello,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Von: "jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com" <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com>

> I am open to all ideas. the code is checked in.
> my  next step would be to look into the rendering engines from osm.
> I would like to be able to walk around a town and be able to markup
> and interact with the map not fly. My theory is that people will
> remember map features from a 3d perspective,
> and that  if they walk around thier streets, they will say  : the
> baker should be on that corner.

the well known renderers all works in 2d - just drawing pictures/tiles.
e.g. mapnik, osmarender. The editors like josm or potlach also works 2d.
Interesting may be footnav: http://sourceforge.net/projects/footnav/
Some mails from the mailing list archiv:
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openstreetmap.org/msg08632.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/talk@openstreetmap.org/msg21380.html

There are also some renderers for mobile devices (android ...) - but I don't think they are really 3d. Some navigation systems has a 3d perspective but aren't really 3d.

> Also, i think that it is very important to reach people, and that the
> gamer community is huge,
> they have unlimited energy and they will help make openstreetmap better.

The problem with blender/openarena is, you can't reload openstreetmap data when you pan to the border of a map file. You have to change the whole program - or write your own, based on a gaming engine.
Before starting this, it is better to test, how many nodes/ways can be used at once with a reasonable frame rate.

> mike

Stefan.
--
Diplom-Informatiker,