[OSM-dev] Josm bug: deleted nodes cause conflicts

malenki osm_ at malenki.ch
Sun Sep 27 06:21:06 BST 2009

Am Sun, 27 Sep 2009 14:49:07 +1000
schrieb John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:

> 2009/9/27 malenki <osm_ at malenki.ch>:
>
> > Learning curve seems to be steeper as with MS Notepad or nano? :)
>
> How is that relevent, people use various apps and now web apps for
> their mail, and I don't know of any web apps that support reply to
> list.

If people use reply-to-all they can definitely delete the
CC-to/Send-to-author line.

> > After all they can change the way handling their MUA. And quite a
> > lot are able not to send duplicates.
>
> Most aren't even coded to use list replies, I doubt they'd be coded
> well enough to work out what a duplicate is likely to be.

Sorry, I was to write "quite a lot _people_ are able not to send
duplicates."

> > Why shouldn't the users MUAs be able to supress duplicates before
> > they are sent? Would solve the problem at the root.
>
> How does a MUA know what a duplicate is before it's sent?

Don't know? That's the coders problem. If he doesn't want to hack that
he should instead implement a good ML-handling. :)

> > How should my MUA decide which of email duplicates are sent on
> > purpose
>
> Each email has a unique ID, a MUA can detect this and can merge/delete
> duplicates.

If this is so, the MUA, as you said, should be able to
recognise and merge/delete duplicates - also before they are send. I
doubt the ID is given when the mail has reached the first server.

But what I maybe did not express well enough was: how can the MUA
decide if the CC-to/Send-to duplicate should be removed or the
duplicate from ML? Sometimes there are even triplikates (can one call
that so?) sent...