[OSM-dev] Josm bug: deleted nodes cause conflicts

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Mon Sep 28 17:25:35 BST 2009

malenki <osm_ at malenki.ch> writes:

> Am Sun, 27 Sep 2009 14:49:07 +1000
> schrieb John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Each email has a unique ID, a MUA can detect this and can merge/delete
>> duplicates.
>
> If this is so, the MUA, as you said, should be able to
> recognise and merge/delete duplicates - also before they are send. I
> doubt the ID is given when the mail has reached the first server.

Well, technically the duplicate is usually created by the sender's
mail server when one sends a mail to two different addresses.  The MUA
only creates one mail with one ID.

This debate will never end and is therefore pointless.  I doubt you
will convince many people to switch to a different MUA just to spare
you from duplicates.  Some people don't even have the choice.  Has
nobody come up with a plugin for MS Outlook, yet, that implements
proper list handling?

> But what I maybe did not express well enough was: how can the MUA
> decide if the CC-to/Send-to duplicate should be removed or the
> duplicate from ML? Sometimes there are even triplikates (can one call
> that so?) sent...

I guess the first to arrive wins.  Unfortunately, this is usually the
direct mail.  This is annoying when one uses list headers to sort
mail.

Matthias