[OSM-dev] McNav vector rendering? (was: Fast & exact ( mobile ) routing)

VeaaC FDIRCT veaac.fdirct at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 14:18:41 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
<ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:
> Do you have plans to write a vector rendering plugin to remove the
> dependency on local or remote tiles?  I'm working on an amateur radio
> application called APRSISCE that runs on Windows Mobile and Win32 and would
> love to be able to query for XML and do local map rendering rather than
> fetching OSM tiles as I do now.  With a vector rendering solution, I can do
> arbitrary scaling instead of being restricted to the 2x per zoom level that
> OSM tiles provide.

While I do plan on implementing a vector rendering plugin, it will
most likely not feature the kind of detail the prerendered Mapnik
tiles do. I am thinking of only displaying route-able ways, their
names as well as place labels. This would make the vector rendering
plugin work with any kind of data set, not just OpenStreetMap data.

Christian Vetter