[OSM-dev] aviation maps?

Ákos Maróy akos at maroy.hu
Wed Aug 11 18:19:20 BST 2010

Jeffrey,

On 11/08/10 19:15, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
> Will have to jump in with a full response later, but have any of you
> checked out AIXM?
>
> http://www.aixm.aero/public/subsite_homepage/homepage.html

yes, I'am aware of the AIXM format, and the eAIP publications that are
made using these formats. for example, here you can find a list of
European eAIP publications online:
http://www.eurocontrol.int/aim/public/standard_page/eaip.html

> Also note that in some (many!) countries the Civil Aviation
> Authorities are privatized and they claim absolute copyright over the
> aviation data for that country. Beware the nasty cease and desist
> letter, I received them in the past.

yes, I'm aware of that. OTOH, it's usually not the 'space description'
itself, but the actual representation that is protected by copyright.
for example, in Hungary a small group of people created maps for all
airports and airfields anew, by drawing these themselves - and it's
available online, or for sale in printed form, organized in a binder:
http://hungaryairport.hu/airport.php

Akos