[OSM-dev] aviation maps?

Jeffrey Johnson ortelius at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 18:29:06 BST 2010

>> Also note that in some (many!) countries the Civil Aviation
>> Authorities are privatized and they claim absolute copyright over the
>> aviation data for that country. Beware the nasty cease and desist
>> letter, I received them in the past.
>
> yes, I'm aware of that. OTOH, it's usually not the 'space description'
> itself, but the actual representation that is protected by copyright.
> for example, in Hungary a small group of people created maps for all
> airports and airfields anew, by drawing these themselves - and it's
> available online, or for sale in printed form, organized in a binder:
> http://hungaryairport.hu/airport.php

Just note that these things (airspace, route structures, waypoints
etc) change, and there is a *very* specific schedule that they must
change on this is all very tightly controlled and defined. If your aim
is to do this for fun, much of that is not important, OTOH, if you
intend for people to fly with these charts, you need to be aware of
these procedures, regulations etc and ahere to them.

Not trying to discourage your efforts, just make you aware of the
whole range of issues you have to cosider ... I speak from (failed)
experience here trying to create a global dataset of Aero data in
order to break Jeppesens monopoly.

Jeff